BBFC 4-4 Northiam
“Point gained…or two lost? Whichever…it was still a terrific fight-back”
We started so well …playing some sublime football on a difiicult surface for the first 15 minutes. The movement & passing of the front three Aaron Davies, Finlay Garlick & Adam Thompsett tore into Northiam. We could have been 4-0 up but had to settle for 2-0. On 6 mins, penalty king Jamie Crouchslotted home another after Adam Robinson was pushed in their box. On 10 mins, their keeper couldn’t handle Adam Robinson‘s low drive & Aaron Davies was so quick to follow up to tap home his 7th goal of the season. But instead of applying our sensible game management tactics of recent weeks, we went chasing a third & got caught twice by a full-strength & much improved Northiam team.Their first goal was a good team goal exploiting the width of the pitch when we had commited too many men forward. Northiam did that well & their excellent No 10 Hayden Reed was a constant threat. Their equaliser came from a “hopeful” long shot that sailed over Ray Pennels who was forced to use his area to clear an attack. Our confidence ebbed but we dug in to hold on in an even game. We then struggled for the first 20 minutes of the second half as Northiam got stronger & again exploited space behind our full-backs. Having said that, we gifted them their 2 goal lead. An own goal & poor possession did for us. Over the next 25 mins, we used all 3 subs, & changed to 4-4-2 to prevent Northiam from exploiting the flanks & to push their wide midfielders back so they had to defend more. Fortunately it worked but we had to wait until the 80th & 85th mins to get level – Jamie Crouch netting his 2nd & hat-trick goals with fine edge of the box finishes following fine team play & assists from Aaron Davies & WHO ELSE? That’s 15 for the season for Jamie Crouch – joint leading scorer in Div 5. Lessons learned:
– game management when 2-0 up
– defending as a team & as individuals…. especially in very poor conditions
– should I have got the game called off…or changed to 4-4-2 earlier?
– reality check with promotion?
– team character, grit & determination to fight back for a draw including those not already mentioned: Liam Chantler, Richard Tich Chambers, James Stephen Rogers, Lee Costen, Matt Ward; Harry Loates, Gary Thompsett, Chris Nolan
– work rate in heavy & worsening conditions
– tactical changes
– another 4 goals – for the 4th game in succession
– we continue our 5 game unbeaten run.
Heart stopping, roller-coaster stuff… but with much respect. Life with the 3rds is never dull.
BBFC 4-4 Northiam