ESFL CCC Cup – 2nd round
BBFC 4-4 Wittersham aet. Wittersham win 3-1 on penalties
“Cracking cup tie we should have won well with the incredible amount of chances we created. Their No 10 showed us how to finish with his 4 from 4 chances”
A real “old school” cup tie in the rain on a heavy muddy pitch. On the one hand we can be so proud of our performance. We:
– overcame a late team change
– worked so hard for 120 mins
– leveled three times after being behind
– played some sublime football at times in very difficult conditions
– created so may chances
– limited Wittersham to 4 attempts on target…
…but apart from our 4 goals, our finishing let us down. Me too,
I should have better tactically dealt with the threat of their No 10 – a very good player. Relying on us to score more was a mistake on my part. The two second half injuries to JohnPaul Ralph & Chris Nolan also disrupted our rhythm as both players had played so well. More positives:
– goals from skipper Lee Costen (penalty on 22 mins after their keeper pushed JohnPaul Ralph) & again on 60 mins (neat finish after great) work by Liam Chantler;
– JohnPaul Ralph‘s first of the season for the 3rds – finishing well after Aaron Davies‘ shot was saved. Much credit to Liam Chantler for his quick & accurate throw-in to Aaron to create the chance. Worth watching out for the JohnPaul Ralph/Aaron Davies partnership as they seemed to instinctively know where each other were yesterday – very encouraging;
– Ashley Vora‘s 116th minute goal – clinical finish from inside the box to put the tie to penalties.
Again ALL 13 PLAYERS gave their all & I have nothing but praise for our commitment & determination to do our best for each other. Recover well… may every minute of rest seem like 10. Thanks too to Dave Weeks & Robert Weeks for their match day help & for Melvyn Nolan‘s support.